Like most, I’ve had a lot of time to think lately. About my dreams, my goals, the pesky little things I keep leaving off my to-do list out of avoidance – and now, I’ve finally written them all down! 101 things to do in 1,001 days (2.75ish years), inspired by Mackenzie Horan.
Started: August 12, 2020
Ending: May 10, 2023
39 down, 62 to go
Marriage – 4/10
- Decide where our family is going to live long-term.
- Take a trip just the two of us.
- Figure out a budget and system that works for us.
Start marriage counseling.(7/10/21) Watch 10 films with Judah that he either loves or wants to see.(10/10 – Our Time Machine on 9/12/20, The Way I See It on 9/18/20, On the Rocks on 10/2/20, Phantom Thread on 10/3/20, Pineapple Express on 10/17/20, Zodiac on 10/24/20, Dick Johnson is Dead on 11/7/20, Klaus on 12/19/20, Lovers Rock on 1/3/21, The Vast of Night on 1/5/21)
- Start paying off Judah’s student loans more aggressively.
- Surprise Judah with a fully planned date.
- Play Bananagrams together every night for two weeks.
Have Judah teach me how to play two new card games.(2/2 – cribbage on 8/12/20, spades on 9/6/20) Help Judah find a career he’s interested in.(Real estate appraiser!)
Home – 3/12
- Finally, actually, truly hone in on my personal interior design style.
- Consult with a designer on a space I’m struggling with.
Find a couch that Phoebe won’t scratch up.(1/4/21)
- Design Annabelle’s “big girl” room.
- Figure out how to display Annabelle’s art.
Invest in a piece of art from an artist I admire.(Alexis Walter) Get a TV with a screen that doesn’t randomly black out.(11/18/20)
- Figure out how to display my seashell collection.
- Figure out the best way to organize sentimental items.
- Do a serious, ruthless purge.
- Host friends for a homemade dinner.
- Complete a DIY project.
Family – 6/15
Take another set of family photos.(Taken on 11/21/20) Find an activity for Annabelle that she loves.(Gymnastics on 4/25/21)
- Make mom friends.
- Send out Christmas cards every year. (1/3 –
2020, 2021, 2022)
- Buy life insurance.
- Make a will.
Read 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families.(Finished on 11/20/20)
- Find a way to get involved at Annabelle’s school.
Decide if/when to have a second kid.
- Have Annabelle help us pick out our Christmas tree.
- Go on a trip with my mom and sister.
- Start a new family tradition.
- Treat my mom to a nice gift or meal, just because.
Cook a meal for my dad and Michelle, just because.(20 Minute Ramen Carbonara on 12/23/20) Find a pediatric dentist for Annabelle.(Scheduled her first appointment on 9/9/20)
Austin – 4/14
- Visit a farmer’s market.
- Take a class through CRAFT.
- Rent a boat on the lake for a day.
- Take Annabelle to the Austin Aquarium.
- Take Annabelle to the Thinkery.
Take Annabelle to the Austin Zoo.(Labor Day 2021) Go paddle boarding on the lake.(9/25/20)
- Take Annabelle to a farm.
- Go to Jeffrey’s with Judah three times. (1/3 – 10/17/20)
- Go back to the pool at the Wayback.
Try five new restaurants.(5/5 – Stiles Switch BBQ on 9/6/20, Swedish Hill on 9/22/20, Launderette on 10/18/20, Lucy’s Fried Chicken on 12/12/20, Oakmont on 3/3/21)
- Watch the Nutcracker at Ballet Austin.
Discover and support a local entrepreneur or cause.(Inside Books Project)
- Find a church we love.
New England – 2/13
- Take a day trip to Martha’s Vineyard.
- Take a day trip to Nantucket.
- Go fishing off Cape Cod.
Rent a vacation house with our friends. (Summer 2021)
- Eat the best lobster roll in Connecticut.
- Eat the best lobster roll on Cape Cod.
- Eat the best lobster roll on Martha’s Vineyard.
- Try the lobster ice cream at Ben & Bill’s.
- Build a snowman with Annabelle.
- Take Annabelle ice skating
- Take Annabelle sledding.
Go on a day trip somewhere new.(Mystic, Summer 2021)
- Spend the night at a boutique hotel or bed and breakfast.
Personal – 8/17
Read at least fifty books.(50/50 – The Matchmaker on 8/13/20, True Prep on 8/16/20, The Dirty Book Club on 8/16/20, Specials on 8/21/20, The Chiffon Trenches on 8/25/20, Extras on 9/2/20, Fashion Climbing on 9/14/20, The Year of Less on 9/20/20, The Testaments on 9/26/20, The Hate U Give on 9/29/20, Hidden Figures on 10/19/20, Finding Freedom on 10/23/20, Of Mess and Moxie on 10/28/20, Last Night at the Lobster on 11/1/20, Little Women on 11/20/20, 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families on 11/20/20, Majesty on 11/23/20, HRH on 11/27/20, Fierce, Free, and Full of Fire on 12/1/20, Obama: An Intimate Portrait on 12/2/20, Untamed on 12/4/20, The Lessons of History on 12/7/20, Just Mercy on 12/13/20, Evvie Drake Starts Over on 12/18/20, Impact on 12/20/20, The Promised Land on 12/31/20, Heart Talk on 1/3/21, Founding Mothers on 1/6/21, Where the Crawdads Sing on 1/10/21, Educated on 1/14/21, OMG WTF Does the Constitution Actually Say? on 1/16/21, Greenlights on 1/17/21, The Mothers on 1/23/21, I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter on 1/29/21, The Nesting Place on 2/6/21, The Color of Law on 2/14/21, Mediocre on 2/16/21, The Highly Sensitive Parent on 2/17/21, Bad Moms on 2/20/21, The Vanishing Half on 2/28/21, Hood Feminism on 2/28/21, Tell Me How It Ends on 3/4/21, Fair Play on 3/12/21, The Last Black Unicorn on 3/19/21, Big Magic on 3/20/21, Braving the Wilderness on 4/4/21, Love Warrior on 4/4/21, Little Fires Everywhere on 4/8/21, Rising Strong on 4/17/21, Delicious! on 4/18/21) Vote in the 2020 election.
- Vote in the 2022 election.
- Make real strides in my personal impact work.
Identify a cause I care about and get involved.(Letter writing with Vote Forward)
- Learn how to actually put on makeup.
- Find my signature scent.
Complete a full Bible study in a timely manner.(Finished on 10/8/20) Use DuoLingo every day for a month.(Hit 30 days on 9/11/20)
- Take a self defense class.
- Take an interior design class.
- Take a cooking class.
Take an art class.(Brush beCause with Riley Sheehey on 9/21/20)
- Send thoughtful letters to five people who need and/or deserve it.
Develop a regular schedule/routine, and follow it for at least a month.(10/20-12/20ish? And ongoing!)
- Travel somewhere by myself, even just for a day.
Take a day off from work just for myself.(1/29/21)
- Plan my own birthday celebrations one year.
Wellness – 6/10
Find a new therapist I love after mine goes on maternity leave.(1/20/21)
- Find a new primary care physician and gynecologist I love, and visit annually. (1/3 – 2020)
- Visit my eye doctor, dermatologist, and dentist regularly. (2/3 – 2020, 2021)
Discover a free workout that I enjoy.(Yoga with Adriene)
- (Try to) make 15 new recipes. (7/15 – Butternut Squash Pasta Carbonara on 9/29/20, Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookies on 10/31/20, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies on 12/7/20, 20 Minute Ramen Carbonara on 12/23/20, Broccoli Cheddar Soup on 1/10/21, Hazelnut Brownies on 1/16/21, Chewy Double Chocolate Chip Cookies on 1/30/21)
Exercise three times a week for two weeks.(11/8/20-11/18/20)
- Invest in my skincare.
Finish Invisalign (finally).(Finished on 4/26) Start taking daily vitamins.(Started on 12/6/20) Start using sunscreen daily.(Started on 9/14/20)
Professional – 6/9
Reach a new career milestone.(Received a new hire to manage and a bonus in the same week!) Freelance for a brand or business I love.(Cubbiekit!)
- Reach out to five business owners I love, just because. (4/5 – 9/20/20, 10/9/20, 12/23/20, 3/2/21)
- Post a new blog once a week for two months.
Unsubscribe from all my unwanted email lists.(9/20)
- Succeed at something I’m scared of.
Do High Fives for five co-workers.(4/5 – 8/28/20, 10/28/20, 1/28/21, 4/27/21, 6/29/21) Receive specific, personal praise from executive leadership for my work.(2020 Cheerful Recognition) Take initiative to put myself on a high visibility project.(Accepted to the Inclusion & Diversity Council and named Storytelling/Community Committee Lead)