Like most, I’ve had a lot of time to think lately. About my dreams, my goals, the pesky little things I keep leaving off my to-do list out of avoidance – and now, I’ve finally written them all down! 101 things to do in 1,001 days (2.75ish years), inspired by Mackenzie Horan.
Started: August 12, 2020
Ending: May 10, 2023
11 down, 90 to go
Marriage – 1/10
- Decide where our family is going to live long-term.
- Take a trip just the two of us.
- Figure out a budget and system that works for us.
- Start marriage counseling.
- Watch 10 films with Judah that he either loves or wants to see. (6/10 – Our Time Machine on 9/12/20, The Way I See It on 9/18/20, On the Rocks on 10/2/20, Phantom Thread on 10/3/20, Pineapple Express on 10/17/20, Zodiac on 10/24/20)
- Start paying off Judah’s student loans more aggressively.
- Surprise Judah with a fully planned date.
- Play Bananagrams together every night for two weeks.
Have Judah teach me how to play two new card games.(2/2 – cribbage on 8/12/20, spades on 9/6/20)
- Help Judah find a career he loves.
Home – 0/12
- Finally, actually, truly hone in on my personal interior design style.
- Work with a design service to consult on a space I’m struggling with.
- Find a couch that Phoebe won’t scratch up.
- Design Annabelle’s “big girl” room.
- Figure out how to display Annabelle’s art.
- Invest in a piece of art from an artist I admire.
- Get a TV with a screen that doesn’t randomly black out.
- Figure out how to display my seashell collection.
- Figure out the best way to organize sentimental items.
- Do a serious, ruthless purge.
- Host friends for a homemade dinner.
- Complete a DIY project.
Family – 1/15
- Take another set of family photos.
- Find an activity for Annabelle that she loves.
- Make “mom friends” through Annabelle’s school.
- Send out Christmas cards every year. (0/3 – 2020, 2021, 2022)
- Buy life insurance.
- Make a will.
- Read 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families.
- Find a way to get involved at Annabelle’s school.
- Decide if/when to have a second kid.
- Have Annabelle help us pick out our Christmas tree.
- Go on a trip with my mom and sister.
- Start a new family tradition.
- Treat my mom to a nice gift or meal, just because.
- Cook a meal for my dad and Michelle, just because.
Find a pediatric dentist for Annabelle.(Scheduled her first appointment on 9/9/20)
Austin – 1/14
- Visit a farmer’s market.
- Take a class through CRAFT.
- Rent a boat on the lake for a day.
- Take Annabelle to the Austin Aquarium.
- Take Annabelle to the Thinkery.
- Take Annabelle to the Austin Zoo.
Go paddle boarding on the lake.(9/25/20)
- Take Annabelle to a farm.
- Go to Jeffrey’s with Judah three times. (1/3 – 10/17/20)
- Go back to the pool at the Wayback.
- Try five new restaurants. (3/5 – Stiles Switch BBQ on 9/6/20, Swedish Hill on 9/22/20, Launderette on 10/18/20)
- Watch the Nutcracker at Ballet Austin.
- Visit the Trail of Lights every year.
- Find a church we love.
New England – 0/13
- Take a vacation to Martha’s Vineyard.
- Take a day trip to Nantucket.
- Go fishing off Cape Cod.
- Rent a vacation house with our friends.
- Eat the best lobster roll in Connecticut.
- Eat the best lobster roll on Cape Cod.
- Eat the best lobster roll on Martha’s Vineyard.
- Try the lobster ice cream at Ben & Bill’s.
- Build a snowman with Annabelle.
- Take Annabelle ice skating
- Take Annabelle sledding.
- Go on a day trip somewhere new.
- Spend the night at a boutique hotel or bed and breakfast.
Personal – 5/17
- Read at least fifty books. (13/50 – The Matchmaker on 8/13/20, True Prep on 8/16/20, The Dirty Book Club on 8/16/20, Specials on 8/21/20, The Chiffon Trenches on 8/25/20, Extras on 9/2/20, Fashion Climbing on 9/14/20, The Year of Less on 9/20/20, The Testaments on 9/26/20, The Hate U Give on 9/29/20, Hidden Figures on 10/19/20, Finding Freedom on 10/23/20, Of Mess and Moxie on 10/28/20)
Vote in the 2020 election.
- Vote in the 2022 election.
- Discover and commit to a new hobby for at least a month.
Identify a cause I care about and get involved.(Letter writing with Vote Forward)
- Learn how to actually put on makeup.
- Find my signature scent.
Complete a full Bible study in a timely manner.(Finished “Opposition and Opportunity” on the First 5 app on 10/8/20) Use DuoLingo every day for a month.(Hit 30 days on 9/11/20)
- Take a self defense class.
- Take an interior design class.
- Take a cooking class.
Take an art class.(Brush beCause with Riley Sheehey on 9/21/20)
- Send thoughtful letters to five people who need and/or deserve it.
- Develop a regular schedule/routine, and follow it for at least a month.
- Travel somewhere by myself, even just for a day.
- Take a day off from work just for myself.
- Plan my own birthday celebrations one year.
Wellness – 1/10
- Find a new therapist I love after mine goes on maternity leave.
- Find a new primary care physician and gynecologist I love, and commit to visiting annually. (0/3)
- Commit to visiting my eye doctor, dermatologist, and dentist regularly. (1/3 – 2020)
- Discover a free workout that I enjoy.
- (Try to) cook 15 new recipes. (1/15 – Butternut Squash Pasta Carbonara)
- Exercise three times a week for two weeks.
- Invest in my skincare.
- Finish Invisalign (finally).
- Start taking daily vitamins.
Start using sunscreen daily.(Started 9/14/20)
Professional – 2/9
- Reach a new career milestone.
- Freelance for a brand or business I love.
- Reach out to five business owners I love, just because. (2/5 – 9/20/20, 10/9/20)
- Post a new blog once a week for two months.
Unsubscribe from all my unwanted email lists.(9/20)
- Succeed at something I’m scared of.
- Do High Fives for five co-workers. (2/5 – 8/28/20, 10/28/20)
- Receive specific, personal praise from senior leadership for my work.
Take initiative to put myself on a high visibility project.(Accepted to the Inclusion & Diversity Council on 9/2/20)